Photo Feature: Portraits

1. I wouldn’t say I’m superb at portraits, but yes, I love to grab the right candid whenever I can, and sometimes the effects are fabulous. I’d say I’m a better amateur photographer of landscapes, though. I have a stunning one that I’ve enlarged and hung in our living room of what sunrise looks like from the bottom of the Grand Canyon 😉 . Yes, though, these tips were very useful, so thanks!

Me neither – portraits are not really my thing. Your Grand Canyon photo sounds amazing!
      Thank you – glad you found them helpful!

2. Diana says:

Very nice. As I get older I tend to take less portraits maybe because of angles or whatever. I take these tips into consideration.

I’ve never been big on portrait photography… I much prefer abstract or landscape to be honest! Hope my tips are useful…

I used to do a lot of portrait photography before we moved a few years ago. Now, it’s mostly my boys that I photograph. Oh, and all the students at the elementary school because I am the yearbook photographer there! When I did more portrait photography, I always took one of their feet/shoes. I don’t know why, but they were always fun photos to have.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of portraits to shoot!! I like taking feet pictures too… I’ve no idea why though!?

Thanks for those great tips. I am trying to improve my pictures and love to read everything about taking great ones.

5. Neely Moldovan says:

I’m not sure if I have a favorite style but I love portraits. I went to the Portrait Gallery in DC and it was incredible

I like looking at nice portraits, I’m just not so keen on taking them, lol! I bet there were some fantastic photos there…

6. Stephanie S says:

I definitely found these tips helpful! I am trying and working on my photography skills and I am especially having trouble with portraits. Thank you so much!

Thank you – I’m glad you found them useful! Photography is mainly about getting lots of practice and seeing what works…

7. Elizabeth O says:

I love abstract portraits too as they allow for more creative surprises. I’m not a fan of selfies at all but yes, they are hugely popular.

Exactly – I like photos that are a bit different… I’m hoping selfies are a craze that will disappear, although I doubt it!

8. Helene says:

I am not so into portraits of me or selfies. In fact, I don’t usually like my own photos. But I do really enjoy taking photo portraits of family and friends and I am pretty good at this.

9. NAti says:

these are such great tips! I think portraits are really difficult, especially getting the light right on the subject!

Thank you! You’re right – good portraits are tricky… they definitely take practice!

10. Krysten says:

These are such wonderful tips, thank you for sharing!

11. Becca Wilson says:

Abstract photos are some of my favorites. I love that they are life without any sort of rhyme or reason.

Mine too! I agree – life is usually very ordered and every so often it’s good to break away from that and look at things differently!