Photo Feature: Live Music!

1. chelf says:

This is very interesting and helpful. A part of my job is to take pictures at live gigs and I can confirm how difficult it is. We love the challenge though right? take a look at my facebook album : music to see my work:)

Thank you – glad you found it helpful! I’m always up for a challenge LOL! I will definitely take a look…

2. Jakub says:

This is a great post! You clearly know what you are talking about and those tips are really helpful. I wonder if you have or would do a post about regular photography? Thanks!

Thank you – glad you found the post helpful. I have written posts on a variety of different style of photography – you can check them all out here on my blog…

3. Every time that I’ve ever tried to take a picture at a concert, the photo always comes out grainy and blurred. Though there’s certainly charm to some of the more chaotic images, I think I’ll leave the fancy photography to the professionals!

Chaotic photos can be very effective – if it was a chaotic gig, the photos should reflect that, right?

4. Neely Moldovan says:

I have never taken photos for something like this. I cant imagine how stressful it would be

I have the same issues taking yearbook photos for my son’s elementary school some days! They had a pep rally today for red ribbon week and had half of the gym had the lights out. I took about 375 photos and had about 50 decent ones to choose from. The lighting wasn’t so great, the kids were constantly moving, and I do bring my DLSR camera, but still have to be careful with so many kids running around.

Ooh, that sounds like a tough gig, LOL! But the joy of digital photography is that you can take hundreds of images and then just use the best ones… in the days of film it was a very different story!

6. Love your last shot! GIG photos are so hard, lighting is not usually the best at bars or places with live music. But when you get the shot it’s worth it!

Thank you – I like that one too! Lighting is definitely the biggest issue with gig photography – but I enjoy trying to capture images that I’m happy with…

7. Joshua says:

I enjoyed reading your professional opinion about photographing live music at venues. You have a lot of factors to consider to get the best shots.

Thank you – glad you enjoyed it! There certainly are a lot of things to consider, but it’s very rewarding when you get a shot you’re happy with.

8. shan says:

When I’ve tried to get successful photography in this situation, it most surely always turns out badly. I believe I’m a decent photographer but in these cases with the movement and lighting like you mentioned, I haven’t had success. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

I hope my advice is helpful in the future… don’t give up! Photography is all about practice.

This is so helpful! I’ve tried to take pictures at festivals but they never turn out.

Thank you – glad you found it useful! Hope you get some great festival photos in the future…

10. This is such a helpful post. When I was a professional photographer, I only photographed a handful of musical acts and it was always outside in the daylight. Personally, I dont get to a lot of concerts but definitely hope to in the future.

Thank you! I love going to concerts – we’re just getting back into it now our daughter is older and we can take her with us.

11. Loved this post, there is so much helpful information. I didn’t know the work that goes into live music.

12. This is really very interesting! I love photography and enjoyed reading about all the work that goes into it!!

13. I have taken a few photos at gigs. They don’t always come out the way that I would like them. I do enjoy doing it though. It just commemorates the event in a way that nothing else does.

14. Louise says:

I take loads of photos at gigs but I’m never happy with them. They always come out blurry 🙁

Louise x

I find that if I take lots of photos there are generally at least a few that are good! Try some of my suggestions and see if they help… it’s trial and error to some extent I’m afraid.